Friday, August 6, 2010

Why does my cruise control switch itself off in my mercedes c class w202 while driving along the motorway ?

Mercedes C Class 1998 C240 Auto, intermitant cruise control failureWhy does my cruise control switch itself off in my mercedes c class w202 while driving along the motorway ?
I don't know why yours does it but I can tell you why mine did it. A few years ago my Dodge truck was continually cutting out of Cruise, and this when I was going down a paved highway. I took it in to the dealers, and it was so simple it was disgusting...my brake pedal was jiggling when I went over the least little bump in the road...and doing this caused the cruise to go off, so it was not the cruise at all, it was the brake pedal. Might be worth looking into for your car.Why does my cruise control switch itself off in my mercedes c class w202 while driving along the motorway ?
The cruise control is set to go off if it is interfered with in any way.


This could be by you touching the breaks, or going over a bump or a piece of debris, going too fast over speed bumps, too fast over a road that is being resurfaced.


It is there as a safety precaution. If it didnt come off so easily imagine what would happen in the case of an emergency.


All you have to do is to set it again.


Oh yes - it will also do it as you change lane if you cross the cats eyes in the road at a fairly fast speed.


Its what it is designed to do really.
Buy a decent car and you probably won't have this problem!! Mercs' are not what they used to be - they used to be reliable, well built and worthy of the name Mercedes. These days they are just as badly built and unreliable as the rest of the cars on the road! They are built to a price, not to a standard - the fact of the matter is: you get what you pay for or, in the case of Mercedes, you get what the dealer can rip you off for!!!
I'd agree, it's reacting to a movement of the brake pedal (as it's supposed to) and may simply be set a little on the sensitive side. Maybe the pedal bounces a fraction as you go over a bump and that's triggering it.
I'm thinking brake pedal, too. It's possible the brake light switch light switch is defective. Try keeping your foot far from the pedal and see if it disengages spontaneously. Best of luck.
maybe your brake switch is faulty, or set too high up.

No comments:

Post a Comment