Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Birth control after D&C/miscarriage?

First, thank you to everyone who answered my question the other day about spotting. It did turn out that I had miscarried at 10wks and had to have a D%26amp;C. I'm working through the physical healing and know the emotional healing will take much longer. My doctor put me on the pill for one month to restore my cycle. He wants me to wait the standard three months to heal emotionally, but honestly, the only thing that keeps me going is the thought of having a baby again. I know the baby will not replace what we have lost, but I need something to fill the void in my heart.





I understand that I MUST wait for a full cycle to try again. Should I stay on the pill for the prescribed month or get off? I don't want the hormones from the pill staying in my system and preventing pregnancy during my next ovulation. I really want a baby again as soon as safe. Will taking the pill for one month prevent pregnancy next ovulation? I'd only be off the pill for 2 wks when it is time to try again...Birth control after D%26amp;C/miscarriage?
First of all, I'm really sorry about your loss. Your desire to try again is totally understandable and natural. But, yes, stay on the pill for a month. Your uterus has just been through a trauma, and the lining might not be ideal this next month, which is not what is best for an embryo to implant. I'm sure that you want this next implantation to be perfect, to improve your chances of having a healthy and successful pregnancy.





I don't think this will be helpful, but I also wanted to remind you that, pill or no pill, your hormones are really wacky right now, and that can be contributing to your sadness, above and beyond your loss. As your hormones even out and adjust, you should be feeling better, and more able to cope with your experience. Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment